Donations For the Cause

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Sprouts, Sprouts, Sprouts

Sprouts, Enzymes and digestive aids oh my.

There it is, my blog.


Go buy them.


Seriously.
 

As my research into he human body evolves, I become more disenchanted with the supplement industry and more in love with what nature has given us. Again I need to tip my hat to the vegan raw food community as it continues to yield new discoveries which make feel stronger, healthier and more alive than ever before. So I thank you. There I said it. Continuing…..

The spouted seed  or nut is a miracle to your digestive track, plain and simple. Why?  I will tell you….provided you want to feel better, look better, and live longer…..sold? I though so……

First we need to have a talk about something your body does every day. Process food. In the good old u.s.a, or super sized nation as I like to call it…(Look around the local walmart and see what I’m talking about). We cook , burn, can, sauté, package, and process our food before we eat it. With the exception of McDonalds most of these food sources at some point contained enzymes. Naturally these chemicals aided in the digestion of the food we eat. Unfortunatlly for enzymes….. they die when cooked at a temperature of 118 degrees or higher. So, in short: you are a murderer. So…there’s that. But aside from your crime, you’ve laid a task on your body 2x as hard to break apart your food.  Now devoid of any natural enzymes, your stomach and pancrease go into over drive, struggling to tear apart the meal you just ate.  Do you ever eat lunch and wanna take a nap. I grew up thinking that was good or at least normal. I remember going to work with my dad, leaving at noon for a 4-patty burger at Wendy’s and then falling asleep at the desk at his engineering firm. It was accepted of course that I was not only lazy but I kind of owned the fact that I was an inherent f..k up. Sad really.  Had I know that my young body was struggling to break apart the dead rotting food in my stomach I would have JUST STOPPED EATING THAT STUFF.   Food should take about 2 hours to leave the stomach and you should feel energized after a meal. It’s fuel for the fire. Instead I was slowly killing myself.
So wait a minute. Dr. Fred…are you saying I should go Raw?! I can’t cook my food?! Well, If you want an honest answer, yes, that would be the best possible healthy diet for your body.  However I understand this isn’t a change someone makes in our society. So there are some options. One being: the sprout. Sprouts are packed with natural enzymes and oxygen vitamins they fight cancer and are filled with healthy fats. They are easy to add to salads, smoothies, or just about any dish and they are packed with the power to break down your food. Hear the power points of what they do!

p.s. Anyone dealing with a serious illness could only benefit from a raw Vegan lifestyle. Today’s market is packed with great veggie protein alternatives.
BENEFIT OF EATING SPROUTS #1:
Sprouts contain oxygen. Because sprouts are a ‘living’ food, they contain hundreds of molecules of oxygen, which is essential for healthy cells. Oxygen-rich foods can ward off viruses and even kill off bacteria. You need a fair amount of oxygen-rich foods in your diet to enjoy the benefits, and sprouts can help you achieve your nutrition balance for the day!

BENEFIT OF EATING SPROUTS #2:
Sprouts have an alkalizing affect on the body. Your body needs to be alkaline in order to be healthy, and there are several foods and toxins that can offset this balance. Sprouts are very alkaline, so you’ll be helping your body achieve balance with ease.

BENEFIT OF EATING SPROUTS #3:
Sprouts contain healthy fats.  Sprouts contain EFAs, the essential fatty acids your body needs to perform basic body functions. You need a certain level of fat in your diet in order to ward off infections and strengthen your immune system. Sprouts are rich in EFAs, so they can support a healthy diet and keep your metabolism functioning at its optimal level.

BENEFIT OF EATING SPROUTS #4:
Sprouts are natural sources of fiber. Fiber helps keep your digestive system healthy, and helps you feel fuller between meals.  Eating more fiber can support your healthy diet and reduce the risk of constipation.  Loading up your sandwich or a meal with sprouts can give your daily fiber counts a boost, and help you digest your meal easily.

BENEFIT OF EATING SPROUTS #5:
Sprouts can give you a dose of vitamins B and C. Sprouts contain a number of vitamins and minerals, and the quantities are even greater when you soak the seeds overnight.  Soaking the seeds overnight increases the levels of vitamin B, so you will always be doing your body a favor by doing this.

BENEFIT OF EATING SPROUTS #6:
Eating sprouts increases your protein count. Sprouts contain a significant amount of vegetable proteins, and can support your healthy diet. They can even be a healthy alternative to meat, so if you’re vegetarian, sprouts should be a part of your daily or weekly diet!

BENEFIT OF EATING SPROUTS #7:
Sprouts are very low in calories. If you’re watching your weight and cutting back on calories, sprouts will support your lifestyle.  Sprouts contain only 9 calories per ounce, and these are a combination of healthy carbs, protein, and healthy fats. You can load up your pocket pita, sandwich and salads with generous amounts of sprouts to enjoy all of the benefits of this amazing vegetable – and do it guilt-free!

I don’t think I need to say anymore. Sprouts are easy to find at any health food store. Or if you want to save more money and buy your own seeds....you can sprout your own sprouts. Just lay the seeds in a wet or damp towel for 4 days in the window sill. We did that in science class…remember!?

Here are some fun facts from a great article on the power of sprouts!

Amazing Phytochemicals
Alfalfa, radish, broccoli, clover and soybean contain concentrated amounts of phytochemicals (plant compounds) that can protect us against disease. Also a buzz word from last weeks Vitamix article! Plant estrogens in sprouts function similarly to human estrogen but without side effects. They increase bone formation and density, prevent bone breakdown (osteoporosis) and are helpful in controlling hot flashes, menopause, PMS and fibrocystic breasts tumors. Canavanine, an amino acid analog present in alfalfa, has demonstrated resistance to pancreatic, colon and leukemia cancers in vitro.
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine researchers found substantial amounts of glucosinolates and isothiocyanates in broccoli sprouts which are very potent inducers of phase 2 enzymes that protect cells from going malignant. Broccoli sprouts actually contain 10-100 times higher levels of these enzymes than does the mature vegetable. Yes please…pass the sprouts!
Alfalfa sprouts are also one of our finest food sources of saponins. Saponins lower the bad cholesterol and fat but not the good HDL fats. Animal studies prove their benefit in arteriosclerosis and cardiovascular disease. Saponins also stimulate the immune system by increasing the activity of natural killer cells such as T- lymphocytes and interferon. The saponin content of alfalfa sprouts multiplies 450% over that of the unsprouted seed. Sprouts also contain an abundance of highly active antioxidants that prevent DNA destruction and protect us from the ongoing effects of aging. It wouldn’t be inconceivable to find a fountain of youth here, after all, sprouts represent the miracle of birth.

Here are two great deals on seeds for sprouting your own oxygen, energy filled seedlings!














4 comments:

  1. I always learn something new here! Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. freds, what are you thoughts on digestive enzyme supplements? I took them regularly for awjile, but my system is normally pretty quick in digestion and I didn't notice a difference. even though my body processes food quickly, i am not vegan and don't eat raw. SO- the enzymes probably could only help, eh? lemme know what you think. - Brasher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Freddie - I love your blogs! I have been doing the Raw Vegan thing -so I knew about sprouts and blending - although, I didn't know all of the wonders of the Vitamix! I'm sold! I know what's on my Christmas list! :) -Kaitlyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda...Yes, If you are cooking your food over 118 degrees....it would benefit you to take the enzyme. There are two that I love...Wobenyme...made by a german company. and digestive Gold...made by enzamedica!

    Kaitlyn.....I'm so proud of you, the raw thing has been so much easier with the vitamix! I've been about 60 raw/ 40 cooked for a month or so feeling great and not missing red meats or chicken!

    ReplyDelete